|Dimensions||14 × 20 cm|
Illustrated by Aly Zainy
Karmel and her family move from the city to the village to live in her late Grandmother’s farm. At first Karmel feels sad and lonely and misses her friends in the city. Soon something amazing happens when she meets two creatures from outer space and a boy her age called Basem. What are those strange creatures? How did they reach earth and are they dangerous? An exciting action filled story that will transport the child to another world
Parent and Teacher guide
Carmel misses life in the city and misses her friends there. Her cat is her constant companion. Carmel keeps herself busy with the family chores and amuses herself by making up her own games. Soon school will start and she will make new friends.
Life becomes exciting when one morning Carmel meets and befriends Zekazam a friendly alien from Zeka planet. She also meets Basem and Zekazoom a friend of Zekazam.
Carmel and Basem help the two aliens achieve the goal of their trip.
- Discussion Many children have to move from familiar surroundings to a new location. Discuss how these children may feel and how they can overcome their loneliness and make new friends. Discuss why friends are important.
- How different are Zekazam ,and Zekazoom from Carmel and Basem? Did their differences stop them from being friends? Do all your friends like the same things you do. How was Zeekazam different from the other Zeeka? How are your friends different from you?
- Discuss how children can help other children who are new to the neighborhood or school.
- Sharing information about oneself with others helps you get to know other people better. Discuss how Zeekazam and Carmel became friends?
- Discuss creatures from outer space or aliens. Are they real? How have they been imagined in popular culture and movies? Do you imagine them to be good or evil?
- Carmel moved to the countryside from the city. Discuss how life in the city may differ from Life in the country.
- Zekazam and Zekazoom needed the wheat kernels and sunflower seeds for experiments on energy for their planet. What are the benefits of wheat and sunflower seeds for us humans?
- Carmel had a secret hiding place on top of the fig tree. Do you have a secret hiding place in your house where you feel safe?
- Discuss different ways of transportation. How do people travel in space?
- Imagine how alien spaceships may look like.
About the Author
Taghreed Najjar is a pioneer of modern children's literature in Jordan. A graduate of the American University of Beirut,Taghreed started her career as a teacher before becoming a full time writer of picture books and young adult novels. Her YA novels have been celebrated widely by her readers and various schools in the region have adopted them as part of their curriculum. A number of her books have won awards while others have been translated into foreign languages like English, Swedish, Turkish, French and Chinese.
One of her most critically acclaimed works is a series of ten picture books revolving around six-year old Jude and her family and friends.'The Halazone Series', deals with everyday childhood issues which are treated with humor and deftness by the author. One of Taghreed’s pet projects was collecting old Arabic children rhymes and publishing them in book and digital form to make them accessible to the modern child and family of today. She published two collections of rhymes, the latest entitled 'Musical Tickles' was selected by the National Centre for Children's Literature (a service of the French National Library) as one of the best publications in the Arab World in 2012/2013.
Taghreed is a member of the Jordanian Writer’s Association and takes part in international and regional conferences and workshops that deal with children literature.
About the Illustrator
Aly Zainy lives in Alexandria Egypt. As a child he was fascinated by art and would daily draw a visual diary of all that he encountered. He also loved to draw family members, friends and their pets. He experimented with different styles and art mediums and recently started illustrating children picture books with great success.