While Jad is playing in the garden a small bird falls down onto the ground in front of him. Jad carries the bird gently into the house and with the help of his sister, Tala, tries to revive it. After a few days the bird recovers and soars up high into the sky.
* If you were Jad and you saw a wounded bird would you help it? What would you do?
* What does a bird have which allows it to fly? What covers the wings of a bird? You could possibly expand further on the link between the form and the function of the wing.
* What else might cover an animal’s body? (Wool, fur etc.)
* Name other animals whose bodies are covered with feathers. Can all of them fly?
* Where did Jad and Tala put the bird? Why?
* You could possibly talk about the places where other animals live.
* Why did Jad and Tala open the windows and the door for the bird?
* Do you think it’s better for the bird to be free or kept inside the nest?
* What does the word freedom mean to you?
* Does the bird feel happy when it gets its freedom? Why?